View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 09:59 AM

New to Mac - Help!!

I just moved over to Mac a few weeks ago (iMac - Intel based running OS 10) and have some basic questions. Please forgive me if I do not use the correct terms in describing my questions.

1) If I use SuperDuper do I need Time Machine?

2) I understand that SD will let me create a bootable external drive? Is that correct?

3) Is there an advantage to using SD and TM together?

4) I already have an external FireWire hard drive that Im running TM on. Should I run SD on a seperate ext hard drive or keep it on the same drive as TM. If I need to get a new drive how do I figure out much space I need for SD.

5) The USB drives are less expensive than FW. Is there any advantage to using FW with SD.

6) Can I mix and match USB and FW drives? For example, can I run TM on FW and SD on another USB based ext drive?

6) If my internal hard drive crashes (its a 500Gb drive) can I run my iMac using the info stored by SD.

7) What is the process to restore my internal disk in the event I have to replace it? Will I need info from both SD and TM to get the iMac up and running again?

Sorry for all the questions, Im trying to make sure I understand what I am doing.

Thanks,
Jim