Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Multiple users on one machine: schedule same backup for each user to ensure SD! runs? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7119)

Michael@wengam 03-02-2018 10:55 AM

Multiple users on one machine: schedule same backup for each user to ensure SD! runs?

I want SuperDuper! to wake from sleep and clone this machine's drive to an external USB drive at the same time every day, no matter who was last using it (and let the machine sleep while logged in). I will set Energy Saver to wake the machine at the same time every day, a minute or two before the SD! run.

The User's Guide tells me: the user who scheduled it does have to be logged in, with their account in front (if Fast User Switching is active), and the
screen must be unlocked.

Is it safe to get every user to log in, one by one, and set up the same Scheduled Run in their account: the same start time, source-target and other conditions?

I am hoping that no matter who last used the machine, so long as they are still logged in when the machine went to sleep, SuperDuper! will open itself and then backup to the external USB. I want the end result to be identical no matter who was logged in. I am hoping that for all those other-user scheduled runs where the user is not logged in, they will simply not happen and not cause a problem.

Will this work? Is there a better way?

dnanian 03-02-2018 11:08 AM

You can do that, yes.

We’re defintely not optimal for this kind of situation because we’re running with a UI, as opposed to being a faceless daemon. Someday we’re going to have enough time to change that...

Michael@wengam 03-09-2018 11:30 PM

I am wondering about a possible complication if both users are logged in to the same machine under 'fast user switching' and they both have the same schedule set to run at the same time.

As I said above, the idea of double simultaneous scheduling is to ensure a scheduled backup takes place no matter who is using the machine. But I was thinking only of a single user at a time logged in, while in practice two (or more) users may be logged in.

By accident, I discovered that SuperDuper can run one user's schedule while another user is in front, so long as the first user is also logged in, but behind.

So if two users schedule the same backup, at the same time, what happens when they are both logged in? One schedule runs? Both run? One succeeds? One or both fail?

I'm happy to try the experiment, but I'd appreciate any advice!

dnanian 03-10-2018 08:48 AM

I'm a little surprised that the off-screen user started. It shouldn't hurt anything, given they're separate accounts and they'll basically be doing the same thing together. Has this happened more than once?

As I said in my reply, we're not really optimal with this kind of thing...