PDA

View Full Version : Erase & Install, then SuperDuper?

Macworthy
11-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Apparently AppleCare says I have an issue with "system file structure" and that's what's causing my blue screen of death and they want me to do an erase & install. I've got 21 days left of AppleCare so I want to get this going in case it ends up being a hard drive issue!

I have my iMac backed up with SuperDuper on an external hard drive, and I am able to boot from it and see that it has backed up properly albeit 21 days ago (kicking myself for that on).

I don't understand how I get that information back on the hard drive. I've looked through the SuperDuper PDF and I can't figure out what step to take first. I am a novice and really nervous about messing it up.

Do I need to do the erase & install first, THEN somehow bring the backed up system on to the the iMac?

It's an iMac Aluminum running Leopard (what ever the lasted update is).

Thank you for your help! Sandy

dnanian
11-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Right, you'll start up from the backup, make sure you're happy with it, then do an erase-then-copy to restore (using, typically, "Restore - all files" as the script).

Before you start up from the backup, I'd suggest naming it the same as the internal drive, to ensure that any bits and bobs refer to the backup and not the internal.

Macworthy
11-01-2010, 02:17 PM
So I'm going to:

1. rename the superduper backup to match the imac's HD name which is still just the default "Macintosh HD". Can't I do this by connecting it to my MacBook?

2. do the erase & copy with the apple install disks, the copy part will be finding the backup and pointing whatever is prompting me there?

Thanks again.

dnanian
11-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Didn't you say you already booted up from the backup, Sandy? Yes?

Macworthy
11-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Sorry, I am being a little dense. A little afraid of messing up somewhere along the lines. Yes, I have the bootable superduper working. Since I've never actually used it before in this situation, I didn't really understand what it would do for me.

So I see I can access the Mac Install CD from the Finder now, and I should do the erase & copy from that point.

I didn't understand your comment below. Does the "before starting from backup" mean what I am doing right now? I've started the iMac using the backup, or does it mean renaming after I've done the erase & install?

Before you start up from the backup, I'd suggest naming it the same as the internal drive, to ensure that any bits and bobs refer to the backup and not the internal.

OMG, thank you for your patience!

dnanian
11-01-2010, 03:30 PM
This is more my fault than yours. Apple is recommending a clean install, and I'm trying to help you do a "full" restore.

So, make sure you an start up from the backup and that you're happy. Then erase and install the OS using the DVD to the internal.

When it prompts you during the install and asks if you want to copy from another Mac, point at the backup volume and it'll bring in your applications and data.

Timmy
11-02-2010, 02:12 AM
Why even bother with the DVD/CleanInstall?

Why not just boot from the external back-up volume and clone the backup over to the corrupted volume using SD!'s Erase then Copy setting?

dnanian
11-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Because you said Apple wants you to do a clean install.

Timmy
11-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Because you said Apple wants you to do a clean install.

Who...?
Me...?

dnanian
11-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Oh, sorry, Timmy - I didn't realize you jumped in there.

Man, I need another vacation, or at least another four hours of sleep.

Anyway, yeah, I know, but that's what Macworthy said Apple said, so this is the best way to do it. There's no significant downside other than the time it takes to do the migration, so it's best to follow their suggestion so she can honestly say it was done, and that way won't have to go through the steps again if the drive is truly on its way out.

There are better ways to determine this, of course (such as looking at the system log to see if there are I/O errors from the internal drive device during the "pauses"), but Apple Support is going to do what Apple Support does...

Macworthy
11-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Why even bother with the DVD/CleanInstall?

Why not just boot from the external back-up volume and clone the backup over to the corrupted volume using SD!'s Erase then Copy setting?
I did try to do this yesterday, but it wouldn't let me select the internal hard drive, it was grey'd out. My only choices were the different partitions I have on my external.

I think the hard drive is dead, AppleCare pretty much confirmed it today, so I'm taking it in tomorrow to have it checked out. It's now turned into a grey screen with a flashing folder/question mark icon.

I'll be figuring out the restore process after that.

Thanks again for you help. Sandy

dnanian
11-02-2010, 12:05 PM
If you're running from the internal, it won't let you pick it. You can't restore to the drive you're running from: you have to start up from the backup...

Macworthy
11-05-2010, 02:50 PM
OK, got the hard drive replaced.

I found this in the .pdf file:

Similarly, if you’ve stored a bootable backup on an external FireWire drive, and your Macintosh is capable of starting up from FireWire, hold down the Option key when you start, select the FireWire drive, and use SuperDuper! to perform the restore.

I haven't done the above yet, I had already turned the imac on to make sure it was running, and it took me through the first steps of setting up language, mouse, etc. Then asked "Did I already own a Mac?" "I could transfer from another Mac."

I chose that option to see where it would take me, and it found my SD clone on the external firewire. It lists several categories in the information window when the clone is selected, Users, Applications, Settings, Other files and folders on the (named clone drive).

Does it matter which way I restore from? Can I proceed with where I am at on the imac, or should I shut down and use restart using the instructions from the SD pdf instructions?

Thanks again, Sandy

dnanian
11-05-2010, 03:22 PM
You're fine, Sandy. They do different things, but your choice is fine, especially given what Apple said.

Macworthy
11-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Best $30 I ever paid. All is back to normal! Thank you again.