PDA

View Full Version : SuperDuper vs. Finder Drag and Drop?

sgmorr
02-26-2009, 12:30 PM
I use SuperDuper, and love it, to maintain a clone of my iMac's internal HD on a peripheral Firewire HD. I have the FW HD partitioned and use one partition for my Clone and another for bulk storage. I backup my Pictures folder and some music and documents to bulk storage even though they are also backed up in my Clone. On occasion, I have just dragged and dropped my User Library folder to bulk storage and it has worked fine. But today when I try to do this, I get an error message (error code -8072) saying that an unexpected error occured and the operation could not be completed.

Is this an error with Finder? How should I go about getting a copy of my User Library into my bulk storage partition (I know I already have this copied safely in my Clone partition)?

Thanks.

dnanian
02-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Yeah, that seems to be a Finder error. Have you tried restarting? Repairing the destination and soruce volumes?

sgmorr
02-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks, I've restarted and verified my internal HD with Disk Utility (it is OK) and repaired permissions on my internal HD. I haven't tried running Disk Utility to check my bulk storage partition on my external FW HD, but I'll do that next.

Can I copy over my User Library using SuperDuper itself and not Finder?

Thanks.

sgmorr
02-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Disk Utility reports that my partition, Bulk Storage, is fine.

dnanian
02-26-2009, 01:27 PM
OK. There's clearly something wrong with it, but I'm sort that I don't know what error -8072 is. Perhaps Apple can help?

sgmorr
02-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks Dave, I'll check over at Apple Discussions.