PDA

View Full Version : changing spotlight settings based on boot drive post-backup

kalvink
06-07-2007, 03:31 PM
I have a MBP with an external FW800 drive that I prefer to boot off of (read/write speeds are about twice as fast), so I mirror the internal and external drive before shutdown with SuperDuper.

When I boot off the internal drive, I don't want Spotlight to search the external (since it is a mirror), and when I boot off the external drive, I don't want Spotlight to search the internal.

I've read a bunch of threads in the forum and I *think* the best way is to do this is to run an after-copy shell script that a) detects the name of the boot drive, and b) runs that mds command to turn off spotlight on the "other" drive (without deleting the index.) Is this correct or is there a better way?

If so, I'm definitely willing to go and try to figure out how to write that, but if anyone can do it off the top of their head I'd really appreciate it-- I've never written a shell script before.

Thanks!

dnanian
06-07-2007, 04:28 PM
I don't think this is going to be that easy to do, Kalvink... it's not that you can't use mdutil to do it, but if you don't really need spotlight, you can just disable it for both drives...