PDA

View Full Version : Clone volume from DMG?

Berardo
05-20-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm almost new to SuperDuper! but find it really great. I did search a bit but am not sure to have found an answer to the following question (maybe the answer is here http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411 ?):

I have a firewire external HD with 3 partitions, on one of them I cloned my previous volume (Panther 10.3.9). If I save this volume as a .dmg, can then mount this image on the FW HD storage partition and use it as a source to clone back the volume to my iBook HD? In case I can, which kind of .dmg should I create?

Sorry if the answer has already been given. TIA.

dnanian
05-20-2006, 10:04 AM
You can use images to do that, yes. With 10.3.9 or later, DMG creation is less reliable than it should be: conversion fails randomly due to some kind of bug in the imaging frameworks.

But, if you use a Sparse Image, you'll be able to do it without any trouble, assuming that you have something to boot from (it sounds like you have one volume you can boot from no problem).

Most of this is covered in detail in the various "restoration" chapters in the User's Guide, so check that out, too!

Berardo
05-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks a lot. I'll check certainly out User's Guide. Yes, I have the FW external drive. Summarizing, I create the .sparseimage file, then copy it to a partition I use as storage, mount the image and clone from it, right?

dnanian
05-20-2006, 10:55 AM
You just send it directly to the partition you use as storage, actually, with the "Disk Image..." option in the destination pop-up. No need to copy it.

And, yes -- to copy from it, just open in Finder and use the volume that appears as the source.

Berardo
05-20-2006, 10:59 AM